Meet Flint & Genesee’s Business Owners
The Flint & Genesee Chamber is a membership organization representing more than 1,200 businesses and affiliates. We also work with hundreds more each year through our Economic Alliance division. That’s a lot of business. It’s also a lot of people. In recognition of the entrepreneurs and business owners driving our economy forward, we present FACES, a monthly Q&A series featuring our members and clients. If you’ve ever wondered who it is you’re doing business with – or could be doing business with – in Flint & Genesee, here’s your chance to find out.
FACES of Flint & Genesee Business: Dr. Jawad Shah, Insight
To Dr. Jawad Shah, Insight means a lot of things. Through work at his medical group of the same name, Dr. Shah uses insight to see what may be under the surface to help treat patients properly. However, according to Dr. Shah, just looking at a patient doesn’t provide enough information to find the root of the problem.
“I don’t believe in simply treating a person,” says Dr. Shah. “You cannot look at them in a vacuum. Is something wrong with the environment or social circumstances? As a healthcare institution, we have to impact that.”
Angela Lots, ATL Jamaican Jerk
Chicago native Angela Lots moved to Flint for her husband’s sake. After 15 years of being in Chicago, he wanted to move back to his hometown to be closer to family, and Lots conceded.
“A couple of weeks into living here, I asked if he could take me to a Jamaican restaurant and he said, ‘we don’t have one,’” says Lots. “I said, ‘We can open one,’ and he said, ‘there you go with another idea.’”
Corinthian Carouthers, Creative Hair School of Cosmetology
In 1996, Corinthian Carouthers was inspired to go to cosmetology school to save money. With a love for fashion and beauty, Carouthers realized she was spending too much on beauty services for her and her daughter, Corinthian II.
Cynthia & Chris Marlowe, M.A.C. Transport, Inc.
In 2000, Cynthia & Chris Marlowe started M.A.C. Transport as a trash and recycling company. From there, the company has grown and has changed to hauling items other than waste.
“After 2008, when the recession hit, recycling became less profitable,” says Cynthia. “We ended up closing our recycling center and hauling freights instead.”
Dr. Randy Hicks, Regional Medical Imaging
In the late 1980s, Dr. Randy Hicks and Dr. David A. Strahle were doing residency together with Michigan State University Flint Area Medical Education. After Dr. Strahle finished his residency, he started what would become Regional Medical Imaging (RMI) in Flint. Three years later, when Dr. Hicks completed his residency, he joined the practice and after 37 years, it continues to grow.
Steve Lund, Senderra RX Specialty Pharmacy
Soon after the company started, Steve Lund joined the Senderra team, coming from Diplomat Pharmacy where he had worked for six years prior. At first, he was consulting full-time for the business before he was officially hired in 2013. At that time, the company was looking to expand with a new call center and Lund, being a Flint native, knew just the place.
Check out these other Faces
- Nichol Albiar & Chris Veihl, Steady Eddy’s Cafe at the Market
- Annie Anglim, Cause & Effect Gallery
- Tracy Aubuchon, Rejuv Ave
- Ben Baker, Cool Bus Party Rental
- Jackie Berg, TheHUB Flint
- Kevin Begola, Bridge Street Exchange
- Ed Benning, MTA Flint
- Madonna Bennett & David Bennett, THA Architects Engineers
- Daniel Buccilli, Refinery Hair Co.
- Joanie Butler, John P. O’Sullivan Distributing
- Ohunwa Carthan, Caribo Services
- Michelle Cardillo, Peace Barn
- Dwayne & Sonyita Clemons, Total Life Prosperity
- Dan Crannie, Signs by Crannie
- Sandra Clark, Applied EcoSystems
- Brandee Cook-Brown, 100K Ideas
- Adriane Deiulius, Grand Blanc Vendor Market Place
- Michael Elias, Common Citizen
- Bob Ennis, Ennis Center for Children
- John Foster, Convergent Technology Partners
- Angela Fox, A Fox International
- David Gaines, Gaines Jewelry
- Ryan Garza & Courtney Simpson, Pop Mod Photo
- Alicia Gibbons, Donna’s Donuts
- Nicole Goetz, VP Total Solutions
- Aaron Hamp, NC Systems & POS Michigan
- Dwayne Harrington, Park Place Hair Studio
- Sheena Harrison, Drinks of Essence Bartending School
- Steve Heddy, Artistic Decorating
- Heath Hoffman, Hoffman’s Deco Deli
- Rachel Hougen, Semi-Sweets, LLC
- Annette Hughes, Sunny Patch Learning Center
- Stephanie James, MW Gallery
- Deborah Johnson, Citizen Statewide Security, Inc.
- Jennifer & James Johnson, Prestige Janitorial Services
- Brian King, Ken’s Redi-Mix
- Frank Kizy, Deluxe Dental
- Kelsey Koch, Serenity Yoga
- Charles Kuta, Ashlor Staffing
- Bob Landaal, Landaal Packing Systems
- Stacey LaFay, Franklin Benefit Solutions
- Julie Lopez, Crime Stoppers of Genesee County
- Adam Martin, Martin Funeral Services
- Luz Martinez, Poco Loco
- Matt Miller, Miller Industries
- Mike Naddeo, Mike Naddeo Photography
- Karl Olmsted & Brian Sanderson, Olmsted Associates, Inc.
- Grace Peabody, Peabody Insurance Inc.
- Diana Phillips, Knob Hill Bed & Breakfast
- Patty Plant, Cranberries Café
- Ray Porter, Porters Orchard
- Pharlon Randle, Bangtown Productions
- Manal Saab, SGCS
- Lorrie Sage, Special Occasions
- Amber Schlemmer, Primary Prevention Physiotherapy
- Marcus Schulmeister, Signal 88 Security
- Laurie Shaw, Coffee Beanery
- Derek Sommer, Spud Software
- Erica Soriano, Soriano’s
- Amanda Szumowicz, Wears Like New
- Jason Trice, Bedrock Apparel
- Jeff Valley, Valley Tent Rental
- Judy Walling, Judy’s Dance Studio
- Nick Wambach, Mr. Brightside Exterior Cleaning
- Mary Webber, L&R Human Resource Consulting
- John Wentworth III, Wentworth Real Estate Group
- Shannon White, Funchitecture
- Melissa Withey, Pure Bliss Salon
- Steve Wolbert, SIPI
- Christie Wong Barrett, Mac Arthur Corporation