(FLINT, Mich. – Feb. 8, 2021) Planning to order carryout or dine in at one of your favorite Genesee County restaurants? Get more for your money with the “Our Town Gift Card Match Program.” Thanks to a $25,000 donation from Consumers Energy, the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce is teaming up with 20+ area businesses to double the value of gift cards purchased at their locations for a limited time.
“We’re hoping to give our local restaurant industry a shot in the arm by incentivizing community members to patronize these businesses during what has been a very difficult time,” said Kristina Johnston, COO at the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce. “What’s great about the Our Town program is that it puts additional dollars in the hands of some of our local food-based businesses, while also allowing consumers to stretch their dining budgets in Genesee County.”
The Our Town initiative comes two months after a survey from the Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association reported that 90 percent of Michigan restaurant operators said their profit margin was lower than it was prior to the COVID-19 outbreak.
As part of this new program, a customer who purchases a $10 gift card at a participating business will receive a second $10 gift card at no cost to them. The maximum amount eligible to be doubled for one customer is $100.
This initiative builds on the matching gift card program Consumers Energy launched in December 2020, when the energy provider donated $500,000 to support shopping local in 55 Michigan communities.
“Small businesses are the backbone of the communities we serve, and every community has seen those businesses feel the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Lauren Youngdahl Snyder, Consumers Energy’s vice president of customer experience. “With Our Town, we are excited to put dollars directly into shoppers’ hands to help them stretch their budgets and give a boost to shops and restaurants.”
The promotion begins Feb. 8 and will run until the donated funds are depleted. Unless noted otherwise, community members can take advantage of the program by visiting one of the following Chamber member locations and asking to purchase a gift card through the Our Town program.
- 501 Bar and Grill (SOLD OUT)
- Blackstone’s Smokehouse (SOLD OUT)
- Blondie’s Food & Spirits (SOLD OUT )
- The Coffee Beanery (SOLD OUT )
- Cork on Saginaw (SOLD OUT)
- Donna’s Donuts (SOLD OUT)
- Edible Arrangements Grand Blanc
- Fenton Winery & Brewery (SOLD OUT)
- Fireside Coffee Co. (SOLD OUT)
- Great Harvest Bread Company (SOLD OUT)
- Halo Burger (SOLD OUT)
- Hoffman’s Deco Deli & Cafe (SOLD OUT)
- Italia Gardens (SOLD OUT)
- Luigi’s & El Toro Sports Bar (SOLD OUT)
- Pesto’s (SOLD OUT)
- Redwood Steakhouse (SOLD OUT)
- Sagano Japanese Bistro & Steakhouse (SOLD OUT)
- Sauce Italian American Kitchen (SOLD OUT)
- Semi-Sweets LLC (Flint Farmers’ Market location only)
- Sherman’s Lounge (SOLD OUT)
- Soriano’s Mexican Kitchen (SOLD OUT)
- Starlite Diner, Coney Island and Catering (SOLD OUT )
- Sweets by Suzanne Marie (SOLD OUT )
This isn’t the first time Consumers Energy has partnered with the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce to assist businesses impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. The company also provided financial support for the Restart Flint & Genesee Small Business Grant Program in 2020.
“We are grateful for the continued support of Consumers Energy,” Johnston said. “The company has shown time and time again its commitment to Michigan’s businesses and workers.”
To learn more about the gift card match program, visit flintandgenesee.org/ourtown.