Email correspondence has been sent out to TeenQuest graduates ages 14-19 in grades 9-12 who are eligible to apply for Summer Youth Initiative (SYI). With a job fair set for May 6 at Genesee Career Institute, the division of the Flint & Genesee Group is encouraging teens to consider applying to work this summer.
“SYI is the next step in our kindergarten-to-career continuum,” says James Avery, director of Talent Development for Flint & Genesee Education & Talent. “Getting a summer job during high school doesn’t just provide extra money for students, it gives them a great experience they can carry with them long after.”
A summer job helps students learn important life skills such as teamwork and communication. It also is a great way to make connections with business professionals that may be able to help students in the future.
“We have 25 excellent employers on board looking to hire students this summer,” says Avery. “Our for-profit and non-profit partners are looking for candidates with a variety of experiences from office and retail to warehouse and assembly, childcare and library assistant to recreation and food service.”
Employers participating in SYI this year include:
- Asbury Community Development Corporation
- Beecher Community School District
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Flint & Genesee County
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Flint
- Catholic Charities of Shiawassee & Genesee Counties
- Centre of Lily Med Spa
- Developing Respectful Education Minds with Sports (DREAMS)
- Flint Children’s Museum
- Flint Freedom Schools Collaborative
- Flint Fresh
- Flint Institute of Music
- Flint Public Library
- Flint River Watershed Coalition (FRWC)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
- Genesee County Community Action Resource Department
- Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission
- Goodwill Industries of Mid-Michigan
- Hand of Hope – FLM
- International Academy of Flint
- Mara Technologies USA
- Motherly Intercessions, Inc.
- Mott Community College
- The Chosen Few Arts Council
- Voice For Children Advocacy Center
For more information on SYI, visit EducateFlintandGenesee.org/Summer-Youth-Initiative/.
Additionally, TeenQuest students who have not received a link to the application can update their contact information at the link above.