Are you looking for a new career, but aren’t sure where to start or how to make yourself marketable to employers? Are you looking to hone your interview and job search skills? Maybe you need advice on how to keep your job once you’re hired?
Career Edge can help.
The series of four workshops – aimed at individuals who are unemployed, underemployed or in the midst of a career transition – targets four specific areas:
- Laying the Foundation – focuses on attitude, business etiquette and communication.
- Job Search Preparation – participants can develop their resumes, learn how to fill out applications, and how to safeguard their personal information.
- Interview Preparation – prepares participants for individual and group interviews.
- Keeping a Job – participants learn about being dependable, being timely and working as part of a team.
“There are a lot of people in this community who have great skills and abilities, but don’t know how to frame that in an interview,” said Rhetta Hunyady, Vice President of Education & Training at the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce. “They may not know which employers are hiring, or what jobs are out there. That’s where Career Edge comes in.”
The free workshops are offered throughout Flint at locations including My Brother’s Keeper and GST Michigan Works.
“We aim to make the program as accessible as possible, so we’re grateful to the many agencies and organizations that partner with us to provide these services,” Hunyady said. “Together, we’re preparing job seekers not only to apply and interview for jobs, but to thrive in the workplace.”
Upcoming workshops are scheduled for May 15-18, June 5-8 and June 19-22.
For more information, visit www.flintandgenesee.org/career-edge.
This article was featured in the May 2017 issue of Afterschool Download. Also in this issue:
- Career Edge: Helping Adults Stand Out in Today’s Job Market
- YouthQuest Teams Up with Lavarne Ross for 2nd Friday ArtWalk
- On the Job: Missy Coulter
- Connecting YouthQuest & Home: The Mirror
- YouthQuest’s Monthly Highlights: April 2017
To join the mailing list, click here.