With the outbreak of coronavirus in Michigan, YouthQuest is closely monitoring and complying with guidance provided by local, state and federal partners including the Genesee County Health Department, State of Michigan and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
Following the statewide closure of all K-12 school buildings, YouthQuest has canceled its programming, field trips and special events through Sunday, April 5. The program will resume when schools re-open.
In the meantime, there are several resources available to community members. This includes:
- Flint Community Schools – Currently, the school district has 7 food distribution sites where community members 19 and younger may pick up breakfast or lunch, regardless of whether or not they attend Flint Schools. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Genesee County Intermediate School District – GISD is distributing breakfast and lunch at multiple sites. Additionally, the district is maintaining a list of different distribution locations and times from schools/districts throughout Genesee County.
- Flint YMCA Feeding Our Community – Starting Monday, March 23, 2020, operating seven days a week the YMCA will be providing dinner for anyone in need. Locations include:
- Suffolk Ct Apartments, 3000 Suffolk Ct., Flushing – 6:00 – 6:45 p.m.
- Pierson Road YMCA, 5219 W. Pierson Road, Flushing – 6:00 – 6:45 p.m.
- Downtown YMCA, 411 E. 3rd St., Flint – 6:00 – 6:45 p.m.
- Kings Lane Apartments, 4400 Kings Ln., Burton – 4:00 – 4:45 p.m.
- Calvary United Methodist Church, 2111 Flushing Road, Flint – 6:00 – 6:45 p.m.
- River Part Apartments, 7002 Pemberton Drive, Flint – 4:00 – 4:45 p.m.
- Flint Development Center, 4121 Martin Luther King Ave., Flint – 5:00 – 5:45 p.m.
- Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church, 424 Kennelworth Ave, Flint – 5:00 – 5:45 p.m.
- Educational Resources
- Khan Academy – This free resource is designed for learners of all ages. In light of the recent school closures, the website now offers schedule templates that you can adopt as is or modify to better suit the needs of your children.
- Online Grade Level Links – Flint Community Schools has compiled a list of online academic resources. Additionally, FCS students are also able to access other district resources by logging in to com using their district usernames and passwords.
- Scholastic Learn at Home – This website provides a variety of day-by day projects to keep kids reading, thinking and growing.
- Funded by the American Federation of Teachers, Share My Lesson offers families a variety of remote learning resources.
- Personal Care Items
- Catholic Charities of Shiawassee and Genesee County – This local nonprofit offers a variety of services and resources, ranging from toiletries to household goods.
- Information and Guidance
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – The CDC offers several informative resources and guides. For example:
- How to talk about with your children about COVID-19 – There are a number of articles about the subject from sources including the National Association of School Psychologists and Nemours, the nonprofit children’s health system.
This article will be updated as new information becomes available. It was last updated March 27 at 2:30 p.m.