YouthQuest sites are hosting events throughout October in celebration of Lights On Afterschool, which is officially recognized on October 28 this year.
The campaign is part of an annual initiative coordinated by the Afterschool Alliance, a national non-profit organization that aims to expand support for quality afterschool programs by working with agencies, elected officials, 50 state afterschool networks, community leaders and program providers across the nation – including YouthQuest.
“Lights On Afterschool is a great opportunity to show our community the impact our program makes,” says Nefertari Jones, program director of Afterschool Education for Flint & Genesee Education & Talent, which administers YouthQuest. “Each of our sites are hosting events to showcase what YouthQuest is all about, and I know that the great work we do will shine through.”
On October 28, for example, the YouthQuest site at Durant-Tuuri-Mott Elementary is hosting a Lights On Afterschool event in partnership with Flint Community Education Initiative. From 5-7 p.m., the community event will showcase activities centered around physical fitness, STEM and youth voice and choice. Beyond that, Sloan Museum, For-Mar Nature Preserve and HAP will also be on-site, providing a variety of activities and resources to students and community residents. Additionally, there will be a photo booth, games and food.
Here are other Lights on Afterschool events scheduled for the month:
- October 7 from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Eisenhower Elementary
- October 14 from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. at Freeman Elementary
- October 21 from 4 – 6 p.m. at Pierce Elementary
- October 21 Neithercut Elementary celebrating at Montrose Orchards
- October 22 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. at Potter Elementary in conjunction with Doyle Ryder Elementary
- October 23 from 5:30 – 7 p.m. Accelerated Learning Academy celebrating at Grace Emmanuel Church with a movie at Accelerated Learning Academy after from 7:30 – 10 p.m.
- October 27 from 4:30 – 6 p.m. at International Academy of Flint
- October 28 from 5 – 8 p.m. at Southwestern Classical Academy
To learn more about the events, follow Flint & Genesee Education & Talent on Facebook. Information will be shared throughout the month.
YouthQuest is made possible through the generous support of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation and 21st Century Community Learning Centers.