Durant Dort Carriage Company Historic Landmark

Address:
316 W. Water Street, Flint, MI
Website:
https://www.facebook.com/DurantDort
Phone:
(810) 410-4605

Details

Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1978, the Durant Dort building served as the focal point for William C. Durant and J. Dallas Dort’s promotional activities in the carriage and automobile businesses from 1896 to 1913 and is credited with being the 1908 birthplace of General Motors. It remains the last physical link to Durant’s pioneer efforts in the carriage and automobile business. Around 1900 the company replaced the structure’s original flat roof with a hip-roof with dormers and added an entrance portico. During the U.S. Great Depression and WWII the building was the headquarters of several service organizations, including the Red Cross, the Flint Chamber of Commerce and the Michigan Children’s Aid Society.