(FLINT – Nov. 24, 2014) The following statement regarding Black Friday spending in Flint & Genesee County should be attributed to Tim Herman, CEO of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce.
“We have every reason to be optimistic that consumers in Flint and Genesee County will go out to shop on Black Friday and throughout the holiday season,” said Tim Herman, CEO of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce. “Last month the Conference Board announced that consumer confidence has increased to a seven-year high.
“More job security… gas prices at an almost four-year low… and a strengthening labor market are key drivers for a stronger economic expansion. If this trend continues, it should increase confidence and give individuals a little more discretionary income; a positive for our residents and our local economy.”
(DETROIT Nov. 20, 2014) — Uptown Reinvestment Corporation (URC) was honored Tuesday at the University of Michigan and Urban Land Institute’s 28th annual Real Estate Forum for its Health and Wellness District project. The $32 million, four-block investment in downtown Flint was the recipient of the Development/Redevelopment of the Year Award.
Tim Herman, President of URC and CEO of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, and Ridgway White, Vice President of Special Projects for the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, accepted the award at the event in Detroit. The Flint project was chosen from more than 20 nominations throughout the state.
“It is a great honor to accept this award on behalf of the URC board,” Herman said. “This project is one of several that are helping to move Flint toward a brighter future.”
The Flint Health and Wellness District includes Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine, the Flint Farmers’ Market, the Genesys PACE center and the demolition of Genesee Towers to make way for new development.
Tom Wackerman, chairman of the forum, noted that this year’s nominees represented huge cross-sections of communities across the state that are developing robustly.
“This year, 16 cities were represented in these awards, and … that’s a great testament to the real estate market everywhere in the state,” Wackerman said. “It paints a story that says recovery is happening in several areas around the state – not just Grand Rapids and Detroit.”
Award winners were selected by a panel of about 10 judges made up of representatives of ULI Michigan, UM and statewide economic development experts.
For more information, contact Uptown Reinvestment Corporation at (810) 238-8669 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
(FLINT, Mich., Nov. 21, 2014) – A representative of Flushing-based Coffee Beanery is among the Michigan companies drumming up export business in China as part of Gov. Rick Snyder’s trade mission there this week.
The nine businesses are part of the Michigan Economic Development Corp. (MEDC) trade mission, with stops in Beijing, Guangzhou and Shanghai to talk about partnerships, distribution and buying. The MEDC trip is running in tandem with Snyder’s trip that started Wednesday and runs through Nov. 26. The traveling executives are participating in some of Snyder’s events.
“To have a Genesee County business represented on the Chinese trade mission is exciting and very telling about the business climate we’re seeing locally,” said Tim Herman, CEO, Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce. “We have the talent and products right here to compete on a global scale. The Coffee Beanery continues to prove that.” Read More »
(FLINT, MICH. – November 21) From fudge to flowers to fashion, Flint & Genesee shoppers will have a wide range of local small businesses to bolster on Small Business Saturday, November 29. The Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce encourages support of the region’s small businesses as part of the kick off to the holiday shopping season. Read More »
(Fenton, MICH. – November 13, 2014) Enihcam recently opened its newly expanded facility in Fenton Township. The renovated facility represents a $1.5 million investment and will result in 30-50 new jobs over the next three years. In addition, Enihcam also launched a partnership with China-based SMTCL. Read More »
Position: Communications & Public Relations Manager
Classification: FTE, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Communications
The Communications & Public Relations Manager is responsible for all aspect of media relations, event planning, and managing, editing and writing for Chamber communications channels. This includes an enterprise Intranet, e-newsletter Inside Business; and internal news channel, FGCC News.
- Develop PR campaigns, and initiatives to promote Chamber programs and services
- Develop PR campaigns and initiatives to improve public perception of Flint and Genesee County
- Manage all aspects of media relations
- Pitch stories to the media
- Write press releases, media advisories, fact sheets and other press materials
- Integrate social media strategies into PR campaigns
- Manage, edit and write newsletters and other company materials
- Develop key messages and talking points
- Prep organization spokespeople
- Respond to information inquiries from the media and the general public
- Serve on the Public Policy staff committee and manage related communications
- Build/maintain working relationships with local and municipal officials.
- Coordinate and promote the Chamber’s Speakers Bureau
- Participate in the planning and execution of the enterprise Intranet
- Contribute to internal communications planning and delivery
- Participate in department budget planning.
- Assist other department staff with the creation and execution of the FGCC events
- Assist with photography and videography needs for FGCC projects and events
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications and the COO.
MINIMUM REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field and/or three to five years of direct experience.
- Strong writing skills with experience in journalistic style, speech writing.
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills, good business acumen; strong organizational and project management skills; sound judgment, initiative, flexibility, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups at all levels.
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with technology, including but not limited to personal computers, desktop or electronic publishing systems, scanners, and other electronic communication equipment
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with graphic design, page layout, and multimedia software
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with interactive technologies of the Web
- Intermediate skill with Microsoft Office and other related applications.
- Ability to adhere to priorities, meet multiple deadlines and effectively present and explain complex information.
Salary: Commensurate with applicant’s experience
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and three references to Wanda Twitty, Director of Human Resources for the Chamber, at email@example.com or fax to (810) 600-4062 by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 3.
Date: Revised: Nov. 17, 2014
(FLINT, Mich., Nov. 14, 2014) – Hotel revenue in Flint & Genesee saw increases in September and year to date, pointing to a strong tourism industry in the county. Read More »
Posthumous Honors Presented at Art of Achievement Event
(FLINT, MICH. – November 6) Tonight, Bill Everett was honored posthumously by the Flint & Genesee Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) as the recipient of the 2014 Community Champion Award presented during the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce Art of Achievement Awards. The event celebrated local businesses and service superstars. Everett was honored for his commitment to Flint & Genesee and the economic impact of the Vehicle City International Old Timers Hockey Tournament, which he founded 29 years ago. Read More »
(FLINT, Mich., Nov. 7, 2014) – The Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce YouthQuest program has been awarded a $2,000 grant to support its early childhood reading curriculum. Read More »
Award to be Renamed ‘Claire White Award’ Going Forward
(FLINT, Mich., Nov. 6, 2014) – The late Claire Mott White was honored with the “Woman of Achievement Award” during the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce Art of Achievement Awards held tonight at the Riverfront Banquet Center in downtown Flint. Read More »